Becoming a dad is a transformative journey filled with joy, challenges, and an abundance of love. Fathers' roles evolve through different stages of children's lives, and each moment is an opportunity to create lasting memories and strengthen the bond with your kids. In this guide, we've gathered insights from some of the dads at Boba—Manu, Dane, Jan, and Jani—who share their perspectives on navigating fatherhood and how to cherish each and every moment. From the early days of sleepless nights to the curious "WHY" questions and playful chores, these fathers offer their advice to help you embrace the beautiful journey that is parenthood.
1. Spend as much time as possible with your baby, things change extremely quickly, so don’t miss a thing!
2. Sleep as much as possible, wherever, whenever you can, is the only way to keep up with the sleep deprivation
3. Take care of yourself, if you are not okay, you can’t take care of anyone else
4. Be a proactive dad, don’t just help mum. Be there, make decisions.
5. Mom is awesome, thank her every day
1. Play with them!! Play legos, read a book or jump in muddy puddles with them. You get to be the kid with them when they’re little.
2. Make memories to keep. You forget everything! Take photos and videos: from first diaper change to the first wobbly tooth and everything in between. Don't forget to take photos of mom with the baby.
3. Do what THEY like to do. Dress up, play football, cook with them. If they want to play tennis and you’ve never picked up a racket in your life, learn how to do it.
4. Show them unconditional love in little and big ways. Hold their hand, give them cuddles and forehead kisses, and most importantly, tell them you love them and how special they are.
5. You WILL feel useless sometimes, because there will be moments when only mom will be able to fix it, and that’s ok. Use your dad problem solving skills and calming energy to support mom, and in doing so, you ARE supporting your baby.
1. When those curious "WHY" questions arise, take a moment to explain. Sure, it might take a bit longer, but consider it an investment in their understanding of the world. This simple act not only answers their immediate curiosity but also nurtures a foundation for lifelong learning.
2. Seize every opportunity to share experiences. Teach your kids by doing things together as soon as possible. Children thrive when they feel involved, and these shared moments become the building blocks of cherished memories.
3. Shift your perspective and see your children as little humans with their own thoughts, feelings, and perspectives. Treating them with respect, acknowledging their individuality, and involving them in decision-making processes fosters a sense of autonomy and self-worth.
1. Make chores playful and a fun race with dad. They should win most of the time, but not always.
2. Never ever travel or commute without snacks. I repeat: snacks!
3. Apologise to them. Show them that everyone makes mistakes and that it’s ok to make them.
4. Be a dad, a proactive one, don't just be “mom’s helper”
5. Show them what you like and get them involved in that. You’re gonna have the best company there is.
As fathers, your journey is one of constant growth and adaptation to the circumstances. From the tender moments with newborns to the lively interactions with growing children, each piece of guidance serves as a compass for creating a strong and loving relationship with your little ones. By embracing the unique perspectives offered here, you can embark on this incredible journey of fatherhood with confidence, purpose, and a deep appreciation for the precious moments that shape your children's lives.