So while global NGOs and researchers continue their dedicated work in the discovery of the causes of preterm birth, as well as creating preventative interventions, companies like Boba continue their grassroots efforts in the communities where we live and raise our families. Like the WHO, Boba advocates for research-based Kangaroo Mother Care as an incredibly effective, life-saving arm of preterm baby care.
Kangaroo Mother Care keeps preterm babies and mothers together, so that a mother can be the primary source of physical and emotional comfort for her baby within the extended care of the medical system.
For both preterm and full-term babies, Kangaroo Mother Care:
- Mimics the environment of the womb
- Regulates body temperature
- Enhances lactation, the prevalence, and the duration of breast-feeding
- Enhances immunological protection
- Lessens crying for babies, while lowering stress and subsequently lower levels of cortisol for both parent and child.
- Enhances growth/weight gain
- Leads to shorter hospital stays
- Provides a buffer against over-stimulation
- Reduces apnea and uneven breathing
- Stabilizes heart rate
- Improves neurobehavior
- Assists in bonding process and builds attachment
- Builds parent confidence and competence
- Helps parents play an active rather than passive role in their baby’s recovery
- Provides longer periods of restful sleep
- Saves lives
- Plus, it is safe. Not one study has proven that it can harm your baby.
To learn more about Kangaroo Mother Care, please follow the links below and watch our interview from 2012 with Angela and her son, Levi.